For the caramel
80 g sugar
5 tsp boiling water
For the milk
400 ml milk
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the eggs
2 whole eggs
4 egg yolks
4 tsp sugar
Fresh or frozen fruits for decoration
1. Heat oven to 160 C and grease your ramekins with butter. Boil some water to have ready for the caramel.
2. Place the sugar in a small non-stick pan and heat on a medium heat. As soon as the sugar starts to turn brown, tilt the pan to distribute the liquid.
When it starts to bubble, add 5 tablespoons of boiling water and swirl to combine with the sugar and turn off the heat.
3. Pour the caramel into the 4 ramekins and tilt them so the caramel covers the entire bottoms.
4. Place the ramekins in the baking tray and add 2 – 3 cm cold water.
5. Make the milk and egg part. Heat the milk and sugar in a pan on gentle heat.
6. Whisk the 2 eggs and 4 egg yolks together with the sugar on a medium speed. Remove when the milk starts to boil. Keep your mixer on a low speed and add the milk until everything is combined. Then add the vanilla.
7. Pour the mixture into the ramekins. Cover the bak- ing tin with a sheet of foil, transfer to the oven and let it cook for 45 minutes.
8. Remove the tray from the oven and leave it with the foil until it cools down. When cool put it in the fridge to chill for a mini- mum 3-4 hours.
9. When you are ready to serve, use a thin-bladed sharp knife and run the blade around the sides of the ramekins.
10. Take a plate and place over the top of the ramekin, holding both the saucer and the ramekin, turn up- side down so the plate is on the table. Gently lift the ramekin off.
Decorate with fresh or fro- zen fruits!
This recipe was published first in the TML Magazine Issue 1, 2018.