Eggplants a la parmesana
The eggplants with parmesan recipe that I show you today is an original one with only a few ingredients, but an exceptional flavor. This Italian recipe is prepared in different ways depending on the area in Italy. Other parmesan recipes often include minced meat, but for my taste this dish becomes too heavy. If you want to add a little more flavour you can add mortadella from Bologna.
PREP TIME: 40 mins - COOK TIME: 25 mins - TOTAL TIME: 1h 5 mins
- 3 medium eggplants
- 2 eggs
- 250 g mozzarella balls (or more!)
- 100 g parmigiano cheese grated
- 800 g tomato or tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion
- Basil, thyme and oregano
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Olive oil
1. Cut the eggplants into thin slices of 2-3 mm and put them in a strainer, sprinkle each eggplant layer with coarse salt. Let them rest at least 30 minutes.
2. In the meantime prepare a fried tomato in the Italian style. Put about four tablespoons of oil and a half onion thinly sliced in a pot and fry until the onion is soft and clear, then add the tomato sauce, 1 tablespoon of sugar, salt, oregano and thyme. When it starts to boil add some basil leaves and cook for 30 minutes. If you want to prepare the tomato sauce with Thermomix put the onion in the cup and crush for 5 sec. on speed 4., then add 15 g of oil and program it for 4 min on 120 ºC at speed 2. After that add the tomato sauce, sugar, thyme, oregano, salt, and program it for 30 min., 100 º C on speed 'spoon'. Add the basil when it has reached 100ºc.
3. Rinse the eggplants quickly with a little bit of water. Pass them through the egg and flour and fry them on both sides in plenty of olive oil. When you take them out of the oil, drain them first on a metal strainer and then lay them on kitchen towels (this way we will reduce the calories).
Prepare the "parmigiana di melanzane"
1. Spread the hot tomato sauce in a 15 x 30 cm baking dish.
2. Cover with a layer of fried eggplants and arrange them so that there are no empty spaces.
3. Now add another tomato sauce layer over the eggplants and sprinkle with plenty of grated parmesan cheese. Put plenty of mozzarella and cover again with a layer of fried eggplants, continue like that until you have 3-4 layers (mine is 4).
4. Cover the surface of the parmesan with a couple of scoops of tomato sauce and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese so you get a crispy and irresistible crust. You can also use some mozzarella.
5. Bake in a hot oven at 180º C for 25 minutes. If you do not have an oven, prepare them in a frying pan, cook over medium heat and with the lid on for 20 minutes. You can also freeze them and cook them when it suits you best.
6. Once ready, take the eggplant parmesan out of the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before cutting it, so you'll get nice portions, which do not fall apart.
Some people make this dish with grilled eggplants but the result is not even comparable to the eggplants in parmesan, made with aubergines passed through egg and flour.